New Look!!!

Have an idea? Want to share it? Post it here.

Moderators: Zyrell, TchTerri, Message Board Admins

New Look!!!

Postby DrPhil » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:16 am

It looks like Zyrell and TchTerri have been busy - or Darian has upgraded our phpBB version.

Subtle name change - is that official?
DrPhil
PATH Room Leader

Re: New Look!!!

Postby TchTerri » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Neither myself nor Zyrell had anything to do with the new look. I am still trying to get used to this myself.
TchTerri
Site Admin

Postby DaveTch » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:50 pm

It looks like Zyrell and TchTerri have been busy - or Darian has upgraded our phpBB version.

Subtle name change - is that official?

Darian upgraded our boards to the latest version of phpBB, our board software, last night. Look around, play with it, and tell me what you think. I'm doing the same.
DaveTch
Site Admin

Postby DarianC » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:38 am

Hey all. I obviously have been very busy with the forums. I'm trying to make things easier to read, so I've bumped up the default text size from 10px to 13px. If you still have problems being able to read the text because it's too small for you, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I expect things to be a little weird for a while as it will take time to get acclimated to things. If you see a problem, please let me know so I can try to fix it. :)

D
DarianC
Site Admin

Postby the_hill1962 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:08 pm

It is difficult to see which messages are new. It appears that the new messages have red segments in the circles instead of blue. However, since the segments are so thin, the color does not show up very well.
At least for me, I need to focus very carefully to differentiate between the old posts and the new unread posts.
the_hill1962
PATH Tutor

Postby DaveTch » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 pm

It is difficult to see which messages are new. It appears that the new messages have red segments in the circles instead of blue. However, since the segments are so thin, the color does not show up very well.
At least for me, I need to focus very carefully to differentiate between the old posts and the new unread posts.

On the first page, right above "General Forums" you'll find "view new posts" and "view unread posts"

View unread posts will show you posts you haven't read yet. See if that helps.

Dave
DaveTch
Site Admin

Postby MrFixit » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:02 am

I like the new look. If the board gets active again, I'll be ready to help again. :)
MrFixit
PATH Tutor

Postby the_hill1962 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:58 pm

I mentioned before that the red and blue indicators are hard to differentiate. I know that DaveTch told me that I could go to "view new posts"
Since I use the "Chromium" web browser (not the "Google Chrome"), it could be an issue with that. Or, since I am finding that I am having to use reading glasses (a sign of getting old?), it could be an issue with that.
In any case, I thought you might want to change the way it indicates if there are new posts since other people might have the same problem.
For anyone that is having this problem, the solution that I use is to magnify the screen. The color of the thin lines comes out a little better contrast.
Sorry DaveTch, the reason that I don't like to go to "view new posts" is that it is just easier to scroll through and look at the indicator for each subject.
the_hill1962
PATH Tutor

Postby DarianC » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:26 am

Hi all. I'm here to help meet your needs. If you'd like to have a skin that helps point out the presence of new material better than what we already have, I'll start looking around at potential replacements. I agree, this current skin doesn't really point out new things that well. Unfortunately this current version is a vast change compared to what we upgraded from. This new version has a lot more options available, but we just don't know which features would best suit us and which ones could be shut off if not needed.

I am open to suggestions. If there is something you'd like to see or just aren't feeling comfy with here on the new forum interface, please say so. I'll look into whatever relief there is to fit your needs. I want to help see this place grow.

I also would appreciate it if you teachers who may be willing to also handle questions that come in from students through the email-a-teacher program, if you would contact me via email at admin@pathwhelp.org with what types of questions you would be willing to answer (like Math, Algebra, Trig, Calc, Chemistry, Biology, English/Language Skills, etc). I know there are some teachers who say they are able to help with some subjects that have already told me they wouldn't feel comfortable taking questions which may relate to a subject they would normally handle. I respect that, but it leaves me with no resources to turn to. If you can help, please let us know. We are getting more and more questions through the portal, and as long as we have people able to give answers in a reasonable period of time, I can see our business picking up. We need to sustain the growth we've received so far this year. If we can't, we are going to end up moving backward.... and losing traction. Now's the time for PATH to decide as a group if you are for real into this, if you are invested to the success or failure of the group. We are at a crossroads of sorts. We can grow steadily by answering the few questions we are now getting on a daily basis in a timely manner, or we can ignore submissions and lose the student who submitted the query. Right now, I'd say about half of the inquiries we are receiving are being ignored or not responded to, simply because we have no one to send the questions to. We need more teachers who are willing to accept questions sent to the email-a-teacher system. We aren't talking 100 questions a day. Right now, we're getting between 2 and 3 questions per day. What I want to do is compile a list of teachers and the subjects they can handle, and then when a question is submitted, I'll send out an email to those who may meet the topics needing helped with. If you receive the forwarded email submission, you can determine if it is something you can comfortably answer. If you don't feel comfortable answering it, you would forward it back to me so that I can look for someone else to take care of it.

Folks, PATH can grow to a steady system, or can fall into ruins. It's up to us to decide what happens. I'm willing to put in the time to keep the sites updated and working, and to coordinate the systems and make sure the queries are being sent to the appropriate resources. It's up to the end resources (you teachers) to handle the questions from there. Together, we can brink this place to life. I just need a commitment from all of you as to what subjects and types of questions you are willing to accept. If you accept an assigned question, I need a commitment you'll reply to the student in a timely and friendly manner. I realize some of these students are horrible about acting like their time is more important than anyone elses, so a bit of diplomacy may be necessary.

I love you all, and I look forward to seeing PATH grow in 2014!
DarianC
Site Admin

Postby Writeacher » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:34 am

MrFixit wrote:I like the new look. If the board gets active again, I'll be ready to help again. :)

Hi, Robert,

We've been getting a little more active lately -- not much, but a little! Also, the traffic in the Live Help room at http://www.pathwhelp.org has been picking up some, too -- not massive increases, but more than we had about a year ago! Check it out whenever you can. Lately, I usually find students and other tutors in the room between about 4 pm and 8 pm EST.

Marilynn
(was AACMsCaEng!)
Writeacher
PATH Assistant Room Leader

Return to General Suggestions